If your treadmill motor is not working properly, it may be time to replace it. Here are a few signs that your treadmill motor may be going bad. The treadmill belt isn’t moving as smoothly as it used to. The treadmill is making strange noises. The treadmill is slower than it used to be. The treadmill stops working entirely.
If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to take your treadmill to a repair shop or replace the motor yourself.
What is a Treadmill Motor?
A treadmill motor is the heart of the treadmill, providing the power to make the belt move. Treadmill motors come in a variety of sizes and speeds, depending on the model of the treadmill.
Most motors are 1.5 to 2.5 horsepower (hp), but some high-end models may have 3 or 4-hp motors. Motors typically have a speed range of 1 to 12 miles per hour (mph), but some may go up to 15 mph.
How to Test a Treadmill Motor?
How To Tell If Treadmill Motor Is Bad?
Several signs indicate a treadmill motor is going bad and needs to be replaced. The most obvious sign is when the treadmill belt stops moving entirely.
Other signs include the treadmill belt moving slower than usual, making strange noises, or feeling less powerful than it used to. If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to take your treadmill to a repair shop or replace the motor yourself.
Testing Tools Needed
To test your treadmill motor, you’ll need a few tools:
- A multimeter
- A screwdriver
- An adjustable wrench
- A replacement motor (if necessary)
- Treadmill oil (if necessary)
1. Unplug the treadmill from the outlet by withdrawing the power cord.
2. Remove the motor cover. This will be located on the side of the treadmill, near the front.
3. Use the multimeter to test the continuity of the motor’s winding. Set the multimeter to the ohms setting and touch one lead to each terminal of the motor’s winding.
There should be continuity between the terminals. If there is no continuity, the motor is bad and will need to be replaced.
4. Use the screwdriver to remove the wire from the motor’s terminals.
5. Inspect the wire for signs of damage. If the wire is damaged, it will need to be replaced.
6. Check the treadmill’s drive belt to see if it is damaged or worn. If the drive belt is damaged, it will need to be replaced.
7. Inspect the treadmill’s walking deck for signs of wear. If the walking deck is worn, it will need to be replaced.
8. Check the motor mounts to see if they are loose. If the motor mounts are loose, they will need to be tightened.
9. Apply a few drops of treadmill oil to the motor’s shaft. This will help keep the motor running smoothly.
10. Reattach the motor cover and plug the treadmill back into the outlet.
If you find that your treadmill motor is bad, it’s important to replace it as soon as possible. A bad motor can cause damage to other parts of the treadmill, so it’s best to take care of the problem right away.
These are the symptoms that will tell you about the condition of your treadmill’s motor. As follows…
1. The treadmill belt isn’t moving as smoothly as it used to
When you see your treadmill walking belt is not moving properly, it may be a sign of your bad treadmill motor. It is time you should test the treadmill motor.
2. The treadmill is making strange noises
Be aware when the treadmill motor is damaged or malfunctioning, like making a strange noise. It means there is something wrong with your treadmill motor.
3. The treadmill is slower than it used to be.
You have to check carefully if your treadmill is slower than usual. If so, don’t waste your time. Check the treadmill motor. It is also a sign.
4. The treadmill stops working entirely
Maybe your treadmill stops working entirely. It can be a great sign that your treadmill motor is damaged.
5. The motor isn’t providing enough power to the belt
If the belt is not giving proper service, It can be the cause of a bad motor.
6. You see sparks or smoke coming from the motor
Sometimes you can see sparks or smoke coming out from the motor. Don’t waste your time thinking. Turn off the plug and check the motor.
7. The treadmill smells like it’s burning
If you get a burning smell from your treadmill, be sure the culprit is the faulty treadmill motor.
8. Motor Overheating
It is also a sign of the bad condition of the motor, like motor windings.
If you notice these signs, it’s time to replace your treadmill motor. Thankfully, this is a relatively easy process you can do yourself with a few tools.
How to Replace a Treadmill Motor?
If your treadmill motor is damaged and needs to be replaced, you can do it yourself with a few tools and some basic knowledge of electronics from the owner’s manual.
First, unplug the treadmill from the power supply outlet. Don’t forget to stop the circuit breaker. Then, remove the access panel to the motor. Locate the two wires that go to the motor’s windings. These will be labeled “U” and “V.”
Cut these wires from the power connection, careful not to damage the treadmill’s control board. Then, strip about ½ inch of insulation from the end of each wire.
Next, connect the new motor to the treadmill’s control board. To do this, you’ll need to solder the wires to the proper terminals on the board.
The “U” wire will go to the “U” terminal, and the “V” wire will go to the “V” terminal. Once the wires are connected, replace the access panel and plug the treadmill back into the power outlet.
Your treadmill should now be up and running again.
How To Tell If Treadmill Motor Is Bad: Final Words
If your treadmill motor is not working properly, it may be time to replace it. Treadmill motors can go bad for various reasons, but the most common reason is that they’re overworked.
You can find replacement motors online or at most fitness equipment stores. Be sure to get a motor the same size and speed as the one you are replacing.